Friday, October 10, 2008

Superior-Subordinate Relation

"My manager is such a freak. I wonder why our CEO thinks he is a talented person. I believe I could have handled things in a better way than him". You may hear such things from your friends working in different companies and you might tell them: " My manager is such an awesome person, always treats me with respect and appreciate what I do for him".

Now what makes these two managers different from each other and makes their subordinates speak about them this way. Textbook explains about Upward and downward communication flows on p 150. The difference is found in the way superiors deliver these 5 categories of messages to the subordinates. A manager can deliver all what that is needed to explain a task to the subordinate and still make him feel valued whereas a different manager makes his subordinate hate him for even communicating with him. Smart managers realized this phenomenon and try to give the best working environment for their subordinates so that they can feel valued and hence try their best to provide best possible outcomes for company.

No comments: