Friday, October 3, 2008

A New Culture and Me!!!

We usually dont realize the uniqueness of one culture or the core beliefs a culture is based on unless we look from the outside. I, when came to United States, went through a great deal of realization of such differences between my own culture and the one I saw here.

For me I had never seen my mother, sister or even other women from all around the country showing their bodies to stranger men. This idea was like when a woman shows her body out to a stranger, or in this case, a bunch of men, she is seducing them to come closer to her, so that later she can capture them in her sweet talks and make them take her a life partner, so that she has someone to take care of her both financially and physically. For my culture a woman inviting men to her like this is considered a woman without much honor, who lacks the good qualities that she has to get the attention of other men by showing her body, who has gone down to a very low level to attract men towards her. Modest and honorable women would only let people approach them through their parents or guardians, just so that they know if this man is approaching her through a proper channel, he is making it public, he will take the responsibility of providing for her for life, will do justice with her as people are witnessing their marriage and its known that only this man will be the protector, provider and care taker of this woman.


Saying all this, I had a very hard time communicating with fellow students and even colleagues at work. It was too hard for me to accept that how can a woman not know that men are staring at her chest or behind. And if she knows that, why doesn't she cover herself and show her beauty only to her spouse? Bulging out breasts and tight clothing was a major distracting for me in talking to females in United States.


So I believe in my case, the mindset I had and my belief made me act in a certain way in a community and caused communication gap between myself and other member of the society. Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, the main purpose, that was studies at college level, and job related work in case of my organization was affected.

So in my experience culture differences are one of the major factors affecting communication in societies.

No comments: