Saturday, September 20, 2008

Webber's Charismatic Authority: My Dad's Company

I find Webber's observation about Charismatic Authority very interesting. Because apparently its one of the most affective form of authority I have ever seen. People inspired by one leader, one person who they love and trust to lead them right, one person who doesn't even force people to do certain things, yet get that to be done.

My father runs a small company, an Industrial lights distribution firm, and he has 4-5 people working for him. I sometime communicate these people and I was so much amazed to know their behavior for my father. It was like I am not his son but they were, as if they were not his employees but people who would stand for him no matter what. Even one of them fought with someone just because they were trying to harm my fathers business.

Later I wondered how come my father has made such a great impact on them and have completely won their hearts, that now they dont even care about anything else but just work for me father as faithful followers. Then instead of asking my dad I observed his attitude with them. For my amazement I learned that he even scolds them, sometimes get harsh with them as well, and even asks them to stay late sometimes but then I realized that its just that he treats them like a family, cares about their social and financial problems. Also make them sit with him and eat lunch, discuss with them if everyone's family is doing ok.

So I believe for a small organization where you know all the employees this way is very affective and can bring you happy employees and good business at the same time.

No comments: